last month, i decided to limit my linky love to once monthly, collecting links of interest to me, thoughout the month, and posting at the end of each month. below is what i've bookmarked for october's inspired internet collection.
the photos in this post? almost self-explanatory, i imagine, given it is halloween! our front yard spooktacular graveyard (mike loves decorating for halloween. it is our sole exterior decor holiday) and photos from the halloween party mike's work hosted for employees' kids yesterday evening.
the costumes? well, i admit, as much as i love sewing and would love to boast homemade costumes, i am not sure it is likely to happen often. isabella happens to be wearing a crown and cape that were mamma made (as a fairy, can't you tell?) because her lighthouse keeper costume (thanks eph!) was too hot. (those of you in colder climates, please don't hate me for saying that.) finn's costume had no chance of being mamma made because the adorable alligator costume (thanks, karen!) you see him in was one of four given to us as hand me downs. as for me? i took one step into mike's workshop and grabbed a few things to create a frugal construction chick costume.
as for the trick-or-treating...my guess is both kids will be dressed in entirely different costumes tomorrow. that's what being a kid is (almost) all about....imagination and limitless fun.
october's inspired internet:
- heather of shivaya naturals linked us to a simple scarf from stitches in play
- again from heather of shivaya naturals...a great children's cuffed pants tutorial
- toddler backpack pattern and tutorial from blueprints
- make a cute fabric basket
- yardage for standard sized sheets, from crafting a green world. awesome for me, as almost my entire stash consists of bedding
- kootoyoo shares another fun tutorial...a corner bookmark
- how to sketch on fabric using your sewing machine
- invisible zipper cushion tutorial
- gardenmama shares a tutorial for a scented dream pillow
- between the lines has a tutorial for a simple linen bag
- amy of angry chicken shows how to add a bit of elastic to alter/tailor a shirt
- lisa of 5 orange potatoes shares a free tutorial and pattern for a gremlin softie
- sandwich wrap tutorial, from betz white. she's got a lovely blog and a book, sewing green.
- 50 reuses from real simple magazine. i linked to this from district dispatch
- an almost 2 year old post from angry chicken about safe and homemade toys. full of good stuff!
- a crafting for a green world review of the green guide for artists (it's on my library list now!)
- rhian linked to this disturbing set of photos of the remains of albatross chicks on a remote north pacific island...full of plastic.
- stitching under oak's twig book tutorial, as mentioned in my fall leaf project post
- safe cosmetics guide to make it yourself skin care recipes, including halloween face paint!
- renee of FIMBY starts a series on how they homeschool. the early years and the middle years.
- have kids? heard of boomerang? a free episode is being offered here
- working on creating a blog and blog audience? these ebooks might be for you
- the preventive ounce. there is even a personalized quiz with links to results and recommendations.
- a basic summary of waldorf and montessori education compared
- lisa, of stitching under oaks, gives a tutorial on making a twig bound book
- forum interview with joan ryan, author, journalist, and mother of a special learning needs child. i heard it and it just struck a chord with me.
- once again, the berkeley parents network adds so much valuable information to my parenting quandaries
- nut bars for hiking, a recipe from adventure in progress
- a year of slow cooking (i linked to a specific recipe from shivaya naturals, but my friend, chrissy, has directed me here a few times, too!)
- 10 freezer tips from lifehacker
- no need to round-up simple living posts when renee of FIMBY does it so beautifully for us!